Self-Paced CRIS University
About this Workshop
This self paced introductory workshop provides university professionals who prepare F&A rate proposals with an overview of the Maximus Comprehensive Rate Information System - CRIS. In this workshop, participants will:
- Gain a basic familiarity with the CRIS application, under the direction of Maximus staff.
- Complete a CRIS model, using data for a simulated university.
- Calculate an F&A rate for the modeled university and generate reports for a rate proposal.
- Learn how to use the CRIS analytical tools to optimize rates and to make data driven decisions.
- Step through the CRIS process of calculating the Utility Cost Adjustment, which may increase your Organized Research F&A rate by up to 1.3 points.
Participants will earn 17 CPE credits for successful completion of this course.
Ms. Caroline Beeman, Director
Ms. Inna Gvozdeva, Director
Ms. Anne Feuerborn, Director
Mr. Chuck Wuensch, Senior Manager
Ms. Mitzi Singleton, Senior Manager
- Module 1: Model Creation & Management, Data Manipulation, Pool Structure and Basic Rules (CPs and SRU)
General overview to CRIS and terminology
Logging on, Creating a Model, Introduction to CRIS Components, Managing Models
Data Exchange Formats (DEF), Importing Files, Grid and Form View, Batch Update, Account Review, Fund Group, Fund, Function Group, Function
Cost Group, Cost Pool, Financial Rules
- Module 2: Pool Structure and Basic Rules (EXs), Pool Structure and Basic Rules, Payroll and Department View
Financial Rules Exclusions, Mapping, Overrides
Basic Elements of the DCE/DA Calcuation in CRIS
Establish DA methodologies, Create College Admin and Department Admin Cost Pools
- Module 3: Payroll and Department View, cont'd, Finalize the Cost Pools, Building, Equipment
Setting DA Calc Flags in Cost Pool, Importing Payroll and Job title, Title Mapping
Mapping for O&M pools, Department Cost Pool Summary, Mapping for Academic Support function
Scrubbing the GA Pool, Scrubbing the College Admin Pools
Importing Building Files, Configuration, Building Class, Type, Review
Full Syste Run, Building Roll up process, Equipment Source Data files
Equipment Class, Type, Review, Reports
- Module 4: Space Downloads and Mapping, Space/Salaries and UCA, Adjustments and Transfers
Import Space Files, Space Definition Room/Survey Function, Review System Messages, Space Mapping, Joint Category, Space Exclusion
Salaries and Space Comparison by Dept/ Cost Pool, UCA Set-up, UCA Factor, UCA Mapping in Space Rules
Adjustment Group, Import Adjustment & Transfer Files, Update the Adjustment View, Transfer
- Module 5: Allocations Part 1, Allocations Part 2, Rate Results, Proposal Prep
Assigning the Statistics and Modifying the State Code, CRIS-Defined Rules
Cost Pools: Equipment by Room / Department / Common Space, General Administration, Dean's Cost Pools, Department Administration
Cost Pools: OIA Buildings, Improvements, Interest, O&M Campuswide, O&M Bell Campus, Utilities, Department Paid O&M, Sponsored Programs Adminstration
Finish Allocation, Statistics via Import
Allocation Reports, Schedule A, Summary Data Elements Schedules, Batch Reporting
The workshop is $1,500 for all five (5) modules. You will have access to the online workshop for 90 days after purchase. Discounts may apply for CRIS Licensees.